I think there is nothing better than receiving handmade gifts for Christmas!
Every year I try and hand make as many Christmas presents for my family and friends as I can.
And every year when planning what to make I get this song in my head!
Let’s have a cheer from everyone
It’s time to party
Making Christmas, making Christmas
Snakes and mice get wrapped up so nice
With spider legs and pretty bows
Yes it is Making Christmas Time from The Nightmare Before Christmas!
I love making things, I get a bit crazy for it,
and you could say this is me…
Now you are thinking oh no, handmade Christmas gifts by a crazy lady …
Everything is going to be crocheted and insane!
Not to worry I can’t crochet!
And as I have said before I actually put a lot of thought into the gifts that I make my family and friends.
I think about what they like, what they need etc., and make them something awesome that they will love and treasure for years to come (hopefully!)
Take my youngest sister for example (I can put this on here as she is too young to stumble upon my blog)
for her birthday earlier in the year I gave her a sewing book and lots of fabrics ribbons etc.
She LOVES it, so for Christmas I have made her a sewing kit and pin cushion set!
So this Making Christmastime can be quite fun and people actually love getting handmade gifts (well my family does), and it is, in most cases cheaper than buying cheap stuff because you are on a budget!
My sister’s gift above cost me $5 for the bits to go in the kit, the fabric etc. was all from my scraps of other projects!
Here are some tips for you at home to also get on the band wagon and have your own handmade Christmas.
- First think of what types of crafts you can handle, can’t sew? Don’t worry there is plenty more things than that. E.g. baking, candles, bath bombs, are super easy and can be done with the kids help.
- Then think of the kinds of things that your family members like/need. E.g. Last year I made my brother in law a passport wallet as he was off traveling this year.
- Get inspiration on what you have decided to make, search places like Pinterest for handmade gift ideas. Great start is here: My own Handmade Gift Ideas Pin board
Some of my favourite handmade gift ideas include:
- Still can’t face the idea of making gifts but want to buy Handmade this Christmas?Check out my website www.laulipopshop.co.nz (soon to have a stocking stuffer section)
As well as Felt and Etsy have a huge range of handmade gifts you can buy, all from the comfort of your own home, no battling the Christmas shoppers here!
(But you can’t leave it to the last minute as you will have to make sure they arrive on time!)
- And last but most importantly, HAVE FUN!(Remember only 48 days till Christmas!)